[This is the final episode of the summer encore season. Brand new shows start next week. – AC]
I do not dance. I’m far too self-aware of my awkwardness. I know we’re all supposed to dance like no one is watching, but when it comes to me, people will look. And point. And judge.
My wife realizes this. Since we were married, she’s had to be content with the fact that she got to dance at our wedding and that’s pretty much it.
I can feel the judgement. Stop it. Would it help if I told you that my wife isn’t much into dancing, either?
This doesn’t mean that music doesn’t move me. I get that involuntary need to move when the music is great. And I don’t mean tapping a toe or nodding my head, although that’s where it starts. And then it can escalate quickly.
Put it this way: I’ve done my time in the pit.
I’ve been elbowed, kneed, kicked, head-butted, burned with cigarettes and joints, and doused with various liquids. And I’ve been okay with that most times because it’s all of the pit experience. You go in, you gotta expect this sort of thing. The one thing I’ve never done is stage dove or crowd-surfed–probably just out of courtesy for my fellow gig-goer.
Here’s a question: Why is there a pit in the first place? Who came up with this idea? How did it spread? And is it the same everywhere>
I think these are important anthropological questions because we’re dealing with a near-universal type of human behavior in the presence of a specific type of art. I think we need a history of moshing.
Songs heard on this show:
- Circle Jerks, Red Tape
- Sex Pistols, God Save the Queen
- The Weirdos, Destroy All Music
- Fear, Let’s Have a War
- Scream, Total Mash
- Bad Brains, Leaving Babylon
- Anthrax, Caught in a Mosh
- Cranberries, Zombie
- Consolidated, The Men’s Movement
- Reel Big Fish, Thank You For Not Mosing
- Smashing Pumpkins, Zero
- Vivian’s Hamster, Moshing.
Need a playlist? Here you go from Eric Wilhite.
The Ongoing History of New Music can be heard on the following stations:
- 102.1 The Edge/Toronto – Sunday at 7 pm
- Q107/Toronto – Sunday at 9 pm
- Live 88-5/Ottawa
- 107.5 Dave-FM/Kitchener – Sunday at 8p pm
- Big Kingston – Saturday and Sunday at 11 pm
- The Wolf, Peterborough – Sunday at 8 pm
- FM96/London – Sunday night at 7, Monday night at 11
- Power 97/Winnipeg – Sunday at 8 am
- Sonic 102.9/Edmonton
- The Zone/Victoria
- The Fox/Vancouver – Sunday at 11 pm
- WAPS/WKTL The Summit/Arkon, Canton, Cleveland, Youngstown The show runs at 11 am Sunday. This, by the way, is a great option for American listeners who are prevented from listening to the show live because of geo-blocking,
We’re still looking for more affiliates in Calgary, Kamloops, Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon, Brandon, Windsor, Montreal, Halifax, Charlottetown, Moncton, Fredericton, and St John’s and anywhere else with a transmitter. If you’re in any of those markets and you want the show, lemme know and I’ll see what I can do.
If you ever miss a show, you can always get the podcast edition available through Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your on-demand audio.