There are some bands that are very consistent with their sound and fans love ’em for it. No two records are exactly the same, but whenever a new album is announced, they have a pretty good idea of what to expect. The Foo Fighters, for example. Every record is a Foo Fighters record, if you know what I mean. There’s a certain sonic/stylistic linearity to the songs. Nothing wrong with that.
Then there are bands who like to take chances, take risks. Queens of the Stone Age, for example.
The last thing Josh Homme and whoever his crew happens to be within the band for that moment is repeat anything. That not only requires imagination but guts.
But while Josh and Co. acknowledge that this approach can confuse people and maybe alienate some fans, they also know that a certain percentage–a solid one, at that–loves that the band likes to use the curve ball.
Heck, it goes beyond that. We never know who is going to show up on a Queens album. It’s always people in, people out making contributions here and contributions there. No wonder the band’s sound is always in a sort of flux.
And then there are all the side projects that are different still. So, yes it’s confusing. And I think that’s exactly what Josh likes.
Let’s go deeper into all this with part two of Secrets of Queens of the Stone Age.
Songs heard on this program:
- Queens of the Stone Age, My God is the Sun
- Queens of the Stone Age, The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret
- Queens of the Stone Age, No One Knows
- Queens of the Stone Age, Go with the Flow
- Eagles of Death Metal, Stuck in the Metal
- Queens of the Stone Age, Little Sister (Live from SNL)
- Desert Sessions, I Wanna Make It wit Chu
- Queens of the Stone Age, Smooth Sailing
- Them Crooked Vultures, Mind Erase No Chaser
Here’s Eric Wilhite’s playlist.
Don’t forget that you can get the podcast version of this podcast through iTunes or wherever you get your on-demand audio.
The Ongoing History of New Music can be heard on the following stations:
- 102.1 The Edge/Toronto – Sunday night at 7
- Live 88-5/Ottawa
- 107.5 Dave-FM/Kitchener
- FM96/London – Sunday night at 7, Monday night at 11
- Power 97/Winnipeg (Sunday nights at 11)
- Rock 97.7/Grand Prairie – Sunday nights at 6.
- Sonic 102.9/Edmonton
- The Zone/Victoria
- The Fox/Vancouver
- Live 105/Halifax
- WAPS/WKTL The Summit/Arkon, Canton, Cleveland, Youngstown
We’re still looking for more affiliates in Calgary, Kamloops, Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon, Brandon, Windsor, Montreal, Charlottetown, Moncton, Fredericton, and St John’s and anywhere else with a transmitter. If you’re in any of those markets and you want the show, lemme know and I’ll see what I can do.