This year has been a raging dumpster fire. No, wait. It’s worse than that. It’s like someone gathered up millions of tires, doused them with kerosene, and lit them up.
The pandemic. Economic ruin. The Trump clown show. Most of California got burned up. Wildfires in Australia wiping out all those cute koala bears, not to mention hundreds of homes. The death of democracy in Hong Kong. Ebola came back. We had so many hurricanes they ran out of names. The port explosion in Beirut. George Floyd. Kobe Bryant. The Tokyo Olympics were postponed. Murder hornets in North America. Locust swarms in Africa. The mass shooting in Nova Scotia. What about Harry and Meaghan? Isn’t anyone worried about poor royals? QAnon. Toilet paper shortages.
Neil Peart died. So did Eddie Van Halen.
At least we’ve got a couple of vaccines. That’s hopeful right? It’ll still be a tough winter, but at least we’ve got something we can look forward to.
And it is the holidays. They’ll be different than previous years and necessarily so. But by this time next year…
Let’s get started on some kind of Christmas cheer. This is the 23rd annual Ongoing History Christmas show. This is the kind of holiday material you won’t hear anywhere else.
Songs heard on this show:
- The Pocket Gods, The COVID Song
- The Offspring, Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
- Grizfolk, All I Want for Christmas is a Rock Show
- Southern Culture on the Skids, Surfin’ on Christmas Day
- The Dirty Nil, Christmas at My House
- State of Shock, No Presents for Christmas
- Hotel Mira, Red Green
- The Bird and the Bee feat. Dave Grohl, Little Drummer Boy
- Bros, Don’t Make No Fuss (It’s Christmas)
- Arkells, Pub Crawl
- Tails.com, Raise the Woof
- Henry Rollins, ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas
Here’s Eric Wilhite’s playlist.
The Ongoing History of New Music can be heard on the following stations:
- 102.1 The Edge/Toronto – Sunday at 7 pm
- Q107/Toronto – Sunday at 9 pm
- Live 88-5/Ottawa
- 107.5 Dave-FM/Kitchener – Sunday at 8p pm
- Big Kingston – Saturday and Sunday at 11 pm
- The Wolf, Peterborough – Sunday at 8 pm
- FM96/London – Sunday night at 7, Monday night at 11
- Power 97/Winnipeg – Sunday at 8 am
- Sonic 102.9/Edmonton
- The Zone/Victoria
- The Fox/Vancouver – Sunday at 11 pm
- WAPS/WKTL The Summit/Arkon, Canton, Cleveland, Youngstown The show runs at 11 am Sunday. This, by the way, is a great option for American listeners who are prevented from listening to the show live because of geo-blocking,
We’re still looking for more affiliates in Calgary, Kamloops, Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon, Brandon, Windsor, Montreal, Halifax, Charlottetown, Moncton, Fredericton, and St John’s and anywhere else with a transmitter. If you’re in any of those markets and you want the show, lemme know and I’ll see what I can do.
If you ever miss a show, you can always get the podcast edition available through Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your on-demand audio. There are hundreds to choose from. Just download and go. They’re all free, of course.