Twenty years ago this week, Nirvana released Nevermind. Exactly 46,251 copies were released to record stores, which was considered optimistic at best. The hope was the record would sell between 100,000 and 200,000 units, pushing it into Sonic Youth territory. It didn’t quite work out that way.
Nevermind was the record that brought the underground to the mainstream and rock hasn’t been the same since.
With that in mind, let’s put together a playlist of covers of Nevermind songs. I’ve started things off with a crazy version of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” from Los Straitjackets. What else can you find?
Here are the rules for The Recommendation Project.
1. Look me up on Rdio (www.rdio.com/people/AlanCross) and find the playlist marked The Recommendation Project Part 11: A Tribute to Nirvana.
2. Pick a cover of any of the songs from Nevermind. Yes, there will multiple versions of “Smells Like Teen Spirit.” That’s okay.
3. Again, the song can be brand new or just new to you.
4. Let your friends know about the project. Get them to contribute.
5. And just so there’s no confusion, I don’t have any fiscal connection to Rdio other than I’m a regular $10/month subscriber.