As we get closer to the end of the year, I’m going to have to write my annual column for the Metro newspapers about the most overlooked acts of 2011. Which artists deserve a second chance before we move on?
My #1 pick is EMA, the intense South Dakotan whose debut, Past Life of Martyred Saints, has been in my iPhone since it came out. What about you?
I’m looking for any and all suggestions about singers, bands and albums that, in a perfect world, should have been HUGE. Or, at the very released, received more attentio than they did.
Here are the rules for The Recommendation Project.
1. Look me up on Rdio (www.rdio.com/people/AlanCross) and find the playlist marked The Recommendation Project Part 20: The Overlooked of 2011
2. Think about all the songs in your library and pick a song, album or artist that you believe got shortchanged in 2011.
3. Again, the song can be brand new or just new to you.
4. Let your friends know about the project. Get them to contribute.
5. And just so there’s no confusion, I don’t have any fiscal connection to Rdio other than I’m a regular $10/month subscriber.