The second-last report on Canadian music sale and streaming stats of 2020
Outside of the growth in streaming, it has not been a good year for the recorded music industry for all the reasons you’d expect. Nielsen has released its second-last report of the year, starting by comparing 2020 to last year.
- Total albums sales, -33.9%
- CD sales, -48.6% (It looks like fewer than 3 million units will be sold in all of 2020. Wow.)
- Digital albums, -18.7%
- Digital tracks, -25.8%
- Vinyl LPs, -11.0%
- On-demand audio streams, +15.9%
Okay, but are things getting any better during the pandemic? Let’s check the week-over-week numbers
- Total album sales, +18.7%
- CD sales, +23.8%
- Digital albums, +24.7%
- Digital tracks, +2.9%
- Vinyl LPs, +24.7%
- On-demand audio streams, -0.2% (1.857 billion streams in the country last week)
One more week to go.