For reasons that completely baffle me, Ringo Starr has never got the props he deserves for his drumming skill. This shade began when John Lennon quipped “He’s not even the best drummer in The Beatles.”
Wrong, Johnny. Here’s why Ringo should be revered:
- His meter is rock-solid. The man is as accurate as a cesium-powered metronome.
- He often plays with a hard-to-duplicate swing.
- His playing could be tremendous innovative for its day. See “Rain,” “A Day in the Life” and “Come Together” for just three examples.
- He is naturally left-handed but plays a right-handed kit. This resulted in him leading with his left hand on fills, creating some very interesting rhythms.
- On his worst day, Ringo was a Beatle and you weren’t.
But don’t take my word for it. Sina, a German drummer, will demonstrate.