I’ve had a couple of conversations recently about the increasing importance of TikTok when it comes to the music industry. This new study confirms a few things that I’ve been feeling for a while. The app is, no question, revolutionizing the music industry from A&R on up.
Nearly 1,000 TikTok users were polled to see how they’re using the platform for discovering new music.
- 47% of the respondents think believe TikTok is the future of the music industry
- 55% say that TikTok has influenced their music taste
- 60% of people use TikTok for discovering new music, ranking second among all digital platforms. Yes, ahead of YouTube and Apple Music. Only Spotify is ranks higher than TikTok for discovering new music
- Nearly 3 in 4 people have discovered a new favorite song through TikTok
- 40% have discovered a new genre of music
- When it comes to genres, hip-hop (74%), pop (58%), alternative (23%), and EDM (23%) are the genres to which TikTokers have been exposed to for the first time
- 81% of users think artists should collaborate with TikTok creators
Lots more information and pretty graphics here.