This was the year that TikTok really hit the mainstream. In the company’s year-end review, we learned the following:
- 125 million videos were posted this year.
- Over 176 different songs surpassed one billion views as TikTok videos.
- The most-used song was “Tootsie Slide” by Drake. Videos using that song reached one billion views in just three days.
- The most-viewed artist was Megan Thee Stallion.
- The top livestream was The Weeknd, who garnered 2 billion views.
- The top ten TikTok songs were viewed 60 billion times.
- 15 tracks that trended on TikTok also managed to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the US including five that reached #1.
- Many artists who found initial success on TikTok have now crossed over into the rest of the music work. Seventy artists now have major label deals after starting on TikTok. That includes Claire Rosinkranz, Dixie D’Amelio, Powfu, Priscilla Block and Tai Verdes.
- Meanwhile, a number of heritage artists got big boosts from TikTok users including Fleetwood Mac, Run-DMC, Simple Plan, OMC, ELO, Prince, Elton John, Oasis, Queen, Stevie Nicks, George Michael, and John Lennon.
- The top genre on TikTok was hip-hop/R&B followed by pop, R&B/soul, electronic, and alternative/indie.
- The fastest-growing genre was Latin music.
- There was at least one twerking duck.
Let’s get more granular:
Top viral vidoes
- @bellapoarch – Bella does M to the B
- @420Doggface208 – Skateboarding and drinking cranberry juice to Fleetwood Mac
- @itscaitlinhello – The co-worker you love to hate because working from home is hard
- @nba – Jalaia performs at the NBA All-Star Game
- @willsmoth – Will Smith car wash
Top celebrities on the platform
- Jason Derulo
- Kylie Jenner
- Charlie Puth