Published on June 4th, 2019 | by Amber Healy0
Time to vote for this year’s SOCAN Songwriting Prize!
The 10 finalists for this year’s SOCAN Songwriting Prize
reflect the best of Canadian music: A variety of genres, artists and sounds,
selected by industry influencers.
The winner will be determined by a popular vote – this means
YOU – and voting is now open.
A winner will be announced the week of June 17 and will receive
a $10,000 prize, in addition to a Yamaha PSR-S975 keyboard and a $500 gift card
to Long & McQuade.
This year’s finalists include:
- “Bad Biology” – written by Elizabeth Ball, Kathleen Monks, Benjamin Reinhartz, James Anthony Rowlinson; performed by Dilly Dally.
- “Blood//Water” – written by Chester Krupa Carbone, Kevin Hissink, Jordan Benjamin; performed by grandson; published by B Height Music, SONY ATV Music Publishing Canada.
- “Chances” – written by Kevin Celestin, Shanice Mohamed, Anthony Pierre; performed by Kaytranada feat. Shay Lia; published by Casablanca Media Publishing Inc.
- “Elephant Man” – written by Sam Lucia, Geoff Millar; performed by So Loki; published by Owake Records.
- “Hang Ups” – written by Scott Helman, Thomas Salter, Gordie Sampson, Simon Wilcox; performed by Scott Helman; published by EMI April Music Canada, SONY ATV Music Publishing Canada.
- “Payback” – written by Sarah Hagen, Maxwell Pankiw, Isaiah Steinberg; performed by Bad Child.
- “She’s The One” – written by Chloé Soldevila, Miles Dupire-Gagnon, Gabriel Lambert, Zachary Irving; performed by Anemone.
- “Soundboi” – written by Dominique Dias, John Samuels; performed by Just John + Dom Dias.
- “Tortoise” – written by Clairmont Humphrey II; performed by Clairmont the Second.
- “Whatever Comes To Mind” – written by Seth Nyquist, Adrian Cook; performed by MorMor.
“Canadian songwriters are among the most talented in the
world. It is SOCAN’s continued pleasure to honour the incredible talent of
Canadian songwriters each year with the SOCAN Songwriting Prize, and the 2019
nominees are as musically varied as Canada is culturally diverse,” said Michael
McCarty, chief membership and business development officer for SOCAN.
Voting is also open now for the 2019 Prix de la chanson
SOCAN, the Francophone counterpart.
The nominees for French-language songs include:
- “Best I’ll Never Have (version française)”– written by Brandon Mignacca, John Nathaniel, Mariane Cossette-Bacon; performed by Brandon Mig; published by John Nathaniel Productions Inc.
- “Fille de personne II” – written by Hubert Chiasson; performed by Hubert Lenoir.
- “La valse des trottoirs” – written by Tommy Bélisle, Philippe Gauthier Boudreau, Thierry Malépart, Marc-Antoine Barbier, Félix Bélisle; performed by Choses Sauvages;published by Avenue Editorial.
- “Manche ouverte” – written by Simon Bolduc; performed by Bolduc tout croche.
- “On fouette” – written by Teddy Laguerre, Shawn Volcy, Marc Casseus, Vladimi Methelus; performed by Tizzo, feat. Shreez.
- “Pas né” – written by Obia Magloire Pierre-Louis, Amhed Saghir; performed by Obia le chef; published by Disques 7ième Ciel.
- “Premier juin ” – written by Lydia Képinski; performed by Lydia Képinski.
- “T’as pas cru” – written by Sarahmée Ouellet, Thomas Lapointe, Diego Montenegro, Ingrid Phd Prifti; performed by Sarahmée.
- “Tercel” – written by Vincent Roberge, Félix Petit, Simon Saint Hillier; performed by Les Louanges; published by Éditions Bonsound.
- “Zaybae” – written by Léo Fougère, Clément Langlois-Légaré, Tom St-Laurent; performed by FouKi; published by Disques 7ième Ciel.