Published on September 18th, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
Uh, Eminem? Shouldn’t you have talked to the Beastie Boys first?
The cover of Eminem’s new album, Kamikaze, is creating a lot of déjà vu. Let’s take a look.
Here’s the breakdown:
- Obviously, we have some kind of air force jet flying from right-to-left. The silver plane has red, white, and blue accents and is placed against a beige background.
- There are two number: FU-2 (which doesn’t require any explanation) and TIKCU5, which, if you spell it backwards, is “suck it.”
- The title of the album is framed in a diamond-shaped design on the tail fin.
Now let’s fold out the whole album.
Now let’s go back to the Beastie Boys 1986 album, Licensed to Ill.
This isn’t a fighter jet, but old Boeing 727. It’s in silver with red, white, and blue markings and is placed against a beige background.
- The registration number is 3MTA3, which reads as “eat me” backwards.
- The name of the band is framed in a diamond on the tail fin.
- And if you fold out the gatefold album, you’ll see that the plan has crashed.
Coincidence? I think not. Did Eminem give the Beastie Boys any kinds of heads-up? No. Discuss.