News-Antique reports on something called the PFC4 Autograph Index, which I gather is an assessment of the most valuable autographs for collectors.
This year’s top 10 includes four musicians. Lemme give you the whole thing (all figures in USD):
10. Madonna: A typical autograph is worth $1,629.
9. Ringo Starr: He stopped signing autographs years ago, which is why his signature has been appreciating quickly, including more than 20% in 2013 alone. Now you’ll have to spend at least $2,000.
8. JK Rowling: Now that she’s living quietly in her Scottish castle, autographs are harder to come by. Today’s price is $2,050.
7. Muhammed Ali: I’d love an Ali autograph, but the price is approaching $2,500.
6. Queen Elizabeth: Sign this, Mum. How much? $2,500?
5. Tiger Woods: He rarely signs anything for the general public because he knows that as the world’s number one golfer, a lot of what he’d sign would end up on eBay. Not gonna play that game. $2,625.
4. Bob Dylan: Dylan memorabilia is exceedingly rare, including scraps of paper with his signature. $3,200.
3. Paul McCartney: Like Ringo, his signature is appreciating. Its value has gone up an average of 20.6% per year. $3,275.
2. Prince William: Really? His signature is worth as much as Macca’s? But since he’s genuine royalty, the tie goes to him and he gets the #2 spot. $3,275.
1. Fidel Castro: Never would have guessed. $5,750.
(Via Vintage Vinyl News)