The American Music Awards–the show created for ABC by Dick Clark when the network lost the Grammys to CBS–were held last night in LA. Like all awards shows, it’s designed as (a) a primetime TV show; and (b) a way to goose record sales (and now streams) going into the final stretch of the Christmas shopping season.
The AMAs are probably the most mainstream of all the awards programs, which, if your musical tastes have brought you to this site, is anathema to you. But since it’s my job to look at news events such as these, I have to offer some sort of analysis. And here is it: Canada did good.
Bieber won the following:
- Favourite Male Artists Pop/Rock
- Favourite Album Pop/Rock, Purpose
- Favourite Song Pop/Rock, “Love Yourself”
- Video of the Year for “Sorry”
- Favourite Artists Rap/Hip Hop
- Favourite Album, Views
- Favourite Song Rap/Hip Hop, “Hotline Bling”
- Favourite Song Soul/R&B, “Work” from Rihanna feat. Drake
Oh, and Twenty One Pilots won a couple:
- Favourite Artist, Alternative Rock (beating out Coldplay and X Ambassadors)
- Favourite Duo or Group Pop/Rock
All the winners can be found here.