Every Monday night, the people at Nielsen/MRC send out a bulletin featuring the latest Canadian music sales and streaming statistics, something eagerly awaited by the music industry. How’s business?
Let’s start with year-over-year numbers, comparing last week to the same week 12 months ago.
- Total album sales, -12.3%
- CD sales, -18.3%
- Digital albums, -21.2%
- Digital tracks, -25.4%
- Vinyl LPs, +58.0%(!!!)
- On-demand audio streams, +15.0%
How about week-over-week? Any improvements?
- Total album sales, +48.0%
- CD sales, +101.2% (No, that’s NOT a typo).
- Digital albums, +11.9%
- Digital tracks, -1.7%
- Vinyl LPs, +10.9%
- On-demand audio streams, -2.1% (1.860 billion streams in the country last week).