If you’ve ever been in a band, you’ll know how torturous it is to come up with a name. So many criteria need to be met.
- Everyone in the group has to agree on it.
- The name has to project something about your style, image, attitude, and sound.
- It has to lend itself to good graphic design.
- You have to be able to secure a domain name–and .com is preferred.
- And most importantly, no one else can have used the name at any point in the history of the known universe.
These challenges have often led to some bad decisions. The Butthole Surfers. Dayglo Abortions. Dogs Die in Hot Cars. Car Seat Headrest. Toad the
Before they decided on Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, they went by Hitler’s Underpants, a truly awful name. Who thought Test Icicles was a good name (say it fast)? How about Let’s Eat Grandma? And I swear there’s a band called Xstabxyouxinxthexheadxandxeatxyourxfacexoffx.
Even “The Beatles” is a terrible name, It began as an homage to Buddy Holly and The Crickets (crickets-beetles, geddit?). But then John suggested a twist by changing the second “e” to an “a” because at the time, combos such at this were often referred to as “beat groups” in the UK. “It works on two levels,” said John. Maybe, but it’s still a terrible name.
What are your picks for the worst band names of all time?