Who has Josh Freese on their bingo card as the new Foo Fighters drummer? Here’s why he just might be the guy.
One week from today, the Foo Fighters will play their first proper headliner show since the death of Taylor Hawkins last year. As I write this, there still hasn’t been an announcement about this replacement, although there are some interesting signs pointing in a particular direction.
Josh Freese is one of the most respected journeyman drummers in the world. His resume includes stints with The Vandals, Guns N’ Roses, Nine Inch Nails, Weezer, A Perfect Circle, Paramore, Sting, Danny Elfman, Sublime with Rome, and The Offspring. He’s also an in-demand studio player, having appeared on more than 400 records.
Could he be the new Foos guy? Very possible. Consider the following:
- He’s a longtime friend of Dave Grohl. He was also buddies with Taylor. He performed at the Taylor Hawkins tribute shows.
- Josh appears to have cleared his schedule for the rest of the year. Ilan Rubin has taken his place with Danny Elfman’s band. He’s also out of The Offspring, replaced by Brandon Pertzborn of Suicidal Tendencies for a touring schedule that extends through October.
- Matt Cameron, another possible contender, has categorically denied that he’s the guy.
- There hasn’t been much said about Rufus Taylor, another good friend of the band (and son of Queen drummer Roger Taylor).
- The same with Atom Williard, another rumoured candidate.
Something’s gonna be announced soon. Probably Sunday afternoon EDT.
6 thoughts on “Who has Josh Freese on their bingo card as the new Foo Fighters drummer? Here’s why he just might be the guy.”
He would be my pick.
Uh, no. An old guy who can’t identify with a younger crowd. This will not help them thrive with young people. Maybe the don’t care. Rufus Taylor is a better choice. Didn’t John Freese play with Devo?
One of the best drummers out there to step in to the band with the unfortunate passing of Hawk. You do know he’s younger than Taylor right? In fact he will be the youngest member.
Extremely tough to step in to a band like the Foo. Needs to mesh with the guys, have the talent and not be intimidated drumming behind Dave. Rufus would be good and he has the connection from Taylor (even looks similar) but talent/experience wins with Josh.
Devo we are not men.
He’s numero uno on my bingo card
Was really hoping it was Atom Willard, his skill, style, and look.