Let’s be clear: the Grammy telecast is designed to be a mainstream prime time mainstream network TV show. That means all the awards serious music fans are concerned are being given away before the show. For example:
1. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have won the Grammy for Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Take that, John Williams.
2. Best Reggae Album went to Jimmy Cliff and Rebirth.
3. Long Form Music Video was awarded to Big Easy Express. featuring Mumford & Sons, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros & Old Crow Medicine Show | Emmett Malloy, Video Director; Bryan Ling, Mike Luba & Tim Lynch, Video Producers
4. In the category of Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical (catchy title, no?) the trophy to Skrillex and ‘Promises (Skrillex & Nero Remix)’ – Skrillex, Remixer (nero)
5. Bjork won for Biophilia in Best Recording Package.
6. More for Skrillex: Best Dance Recording for “Bangarang.”
7. Still more for Skrillex: Best Dance/Electronica Album for Bangarang. Sorry, Deadmau5.
8. Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance goes to Halestorm, beating out Megadeth, Iron Maiden and Marilyn Manson.
9. The Black Keys nail it for “Lonely Boy” in the category of Best Rock Song.
10. Another win for The Black Keys as they pick up the Grammy for Best Rock Album for El Camino.
11. Wow. Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys wins for Producer of the Year. He’s having a good night.
12. Goyte and Kimbra win for Best Pop/Duo Group performance for “Somebody That I Used To Know.”
13. Winner of Best Alternative album is Gotye.
14. Best Traditional Pop Album goes to Paul McCartney for Kisses on the Bottom.
That’s about it. Follow me on Twitter at 8pm ET for the whole gory program.