Even though finding legal entertainment easier and cheaper than ever before, people still steal music, movies and TV shows. In fact, visits to illegal file-sharing sites were up 1.6% in 2017. Why?
A new survey of 1,000 people in the UK found the following self-reported stats.
- 35% steal because the legal content is too expensive.
- 35% said that they have no choice because the material isn’t available in their area legally
- 53% of respondents steal stuff even though they know it’s wrong.
- 83% say they try to find legal material first.
- 91% of those in the survey who say they steal also have a subscription to a legal service like Spotify or Netflix.
More analysis can be found at Variety.