SOCAN, Canada’s performing rights association, sponsors a songwriting contest each year. The winner for 2020 is Winnipeg’s William Prince (actually, he’s from Peguis First Nations, but never mind) for his song “The Spark.”
He gets the $5,000 first prize, a Yamaha keyboard and a $500 gift card from Long and McQuade.
Here’s the full list of English-language finalists.
- “#uvangattauq” – written by Rita Claire Mike-Murphy, Zahrah Ibrahim, Andrew Morrison; performed by Riit; published by Girl On A Horse, Aakuluk Music Inc.
- “Breaking Down” – written by Meghan Meisters, Mary Beth Ancheta, Alex Mak; performed by iskwé; published by Hyvetown Music Inc.
- “Grip” – written by Clairmont Humphrey II; performed by Clairmont The Second.
- “Mind Games” – written by Lauren Isenberg, David Charles Fischer, Jeff Hazin, Matt Kahane; performed by renforshort.
- “Mountain” – written by Scott Zhang; performed by Monsune.
- “Same Room” – written by JP Saxe, Ryan Marrone; performed by JP Saxe; published by SONY ATV Music Publishing Canada.
- “Some Kinda Love” – written by Kira Huszar, Adam Pondang, Akeel Henry; performed by LOONY; published by Keys Open Doors, Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd. Canada.
- “The Spark” – written by William Prince; performed by William Prince.
- “Thinking ‘Bout Love” – written by Khalid Yassein, Robyn Dell’Unto; performed by Wild Rivers; published by Wild Rivers Ltd., Robyn Dell’Unto Music.
- “Thirteen” – written by Haviah Mighty, Preston Chin, Tim Hill; performed by Haviah Mighty.