Published on January 17th, 2015 | by Alan Cross0
Year-End Music Market Results for Canada by the Numbers
So where did the Canadian music market finish in 2014? FYI Music News lays it out like this:
- 1 – The number of Canadian artists that sold more than 100,000 copies of an album. That was Bobby Bazini’s Where I Belong, moving 102,000 copies.
- 7 – The number of albums sold over 100,000 copies with Taylor Swift’s 1989 leading the way with 314,000 units. In 2013, 16 albums sold more than 100,000 copies.
- 14% – The decline in sales in the Alternative category.
- 7% – Overall album sales were down to 37.9 million from last year. CD sales were down 7%, too.
- 39% – The percentage of all album sales that were digital
- 51% – The decline in sales in the rap and R&B categories.
- 71% – The increase in vinyl sales over 2013
- 207,000 – The number of time a Hedley song was played on Canadian radio, the highest of any artist in 2013.
- 6 billion – The number of songs were streamed in just six months