Kanye West took time for what must have been a very busy July 4th holiday to announce that he’s going to challenge his BFF Donald Trump for the office of President of the United States. Yes, this year.
We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am running for president of the United States 🇺🇸! #2020VISION— ye (@kanyewest) July 5, 2020
Er, okay. It’s a bit late to enter the race, especially since deadlines for filing intentions to run have already passed in a number of states. And what party? He’ll have to run as an independent.
So is he serious?
- Ye is apparently worth a billion dollars, as his his wife. He can afford to self-finance at least part of a run.
- Both he and Kim have a strong command of social media.
- Name recognition? Check.
- It’s a fact that a substantial number of Americans can be swayed to vote for a celebrity.
Maybe, though, this is a fake-out. Could he as an independent candidate siphon away votes from Joe Biden for his friend Donald?
Instead, this is most likely just a publicity stunt to hype his music and clothing line. Kanye likes headlines just as much as Trump does. But wouldn’t it be wild to see him on the debate stage as we get closer to November?
- Fox and Friends really likes this idea of Kanye running.
- Elon Musk has backed Kanye’s run.
- Here’s the kind of scrutiny Yeezy would have to endure if he’s serious about being president.
- Taylor Swift fans are now urging her to run as a counterbalance to Kanye.