Unlike Canadian radio or TV, there are no Canadian content rules for the Internet. YouTube, however, has decided to launch a channel devoted to all things Canuck.
Launching today, the new YouTube Canada Spotlight Channel “will act as both a showcase for Canada’s top stars and a discovery route for emerging Canadian talent. It will share with viewers the incredible diversity of content on YouTube, and the diverse Canadian voices that create it.”
Interestingly, Canada is the first market in the world to get a channel that’s devoted entirely to local creators. Plus Canada is the first country outside the US to have something called Creator on the Rise. Looking for the Trending tab if you’re interested in fast-growing Canadian creators.
Just for fun, here are some YouTube numbers:
- YouTube has over 1.5 billion monthly logged-in users
- People watch over a billion hours of video and generate billions of views every day.
- YouTube’s watchtime in Canada is up 30% over last year.
- In the past year, Canadian channels have seen their watchtime grow 45%.
- And it’s not just Canadians watching Canadians. Watchtime for Canadian channels has grown 185% in India, and over 40% in the US, France and Australia.
- Globally, there are 75% more channels with 1M+ subscribers versus last year.
- There was a 65% increase in the number of Canadian channels that have more than 100K subscribers.
- Watchtime for Canadian broadcast TV channels on YouTube has grown by 400% over the last 3 years.