Hang on. Just
two three more days and we’re done with February. Distract yourself with some music news.
- A telco has launched a data-free music service. Is this a sign of things to come? Let’s hope so.
- A fitness instructor in India was shot and killed by someone complaining that the music coming from his gym was too loud.
- Japanese police arrested 44 people in a nationwide crackdown on illegal file-sharing.
- According to some reports, Tidal subscriptions have gone way up since Kayne made The Life of Pablo an exclusive release.
- Africa has its first music download service.
- The night the Beatles played in front of 18 people.
- The “Damn Daniel” meme is now a song. Of course it is…
- If you ever had your heart broken in the 80s (or if you’ve ever turned to 80s music under those circumstances), you’ll appreciate this.
- If you’re in the Toronto area, I highly recommend attending this session with John Seabrook on how the music industry really works today. I’ll be there.
- A fascinating under-the-hood look at how Spotify works.
- Speaking of streaming music services, is Samsung talking to Jay Z about acquiring Tidal?
- And while we’re on the topic, music’s share of the world of digital content is not only small but shrinking.
- Playable records that are actually tortillas. You read that right.
- Wait: Bill Gates DJed on Jimmy Fallon? Yes. Yes, he did.
- Elvis’ doctor, Dr. Nick, dead at 88.
- Yoko Ono is in hospital suffering from dehydration after a bad case of the flu. She should be fine, though.