Opinion

Published on July 22nd, 2019 | by Alan Cross

Mt. Rushmore, the giant rock carving in South Dakota, is (in my opinion) and over-hyped tourist trap in South Dakota. But that’s just me. People come from all over the word to gave upon Gutzon Borglum’s sculpture of four iconic US presidents: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln.

These presidents, according to Borglum, were the people who made America great.

Let’s riff on that theme a little. What if someone were to commission a similar sculpture featuring the four faces of people who made Canadian rock great? In other words, who are the most iconic and historically significant musical artists in the history of this country?

To keep it a little simpler, let’s confine this discussion about memorializing people in rock to rock artists (see what I did there?) I’m guessing people would nominate Neil Young. But who else? Bryan Adams? Randy Bachman?

Give it some thought and leave your nominations below.

Tags:

Related Posts

35 Responses to Weekly survey: Whose faces would you pick for a Canadian music version of Mt. Rushmore?

1. Chris says:

Bachman Cummings Robertson and Young

2. This… is… tough. I’m just going to list off a bunch and let you do the choosing… and the chiseling.

I agree with your first choice; Neil Young needs to have a place on Mount CanRock. Geddy Lee deserves a position of recognition on this display, both because of his unique contributions to rock and roll in general as well as the fact that he sang with Bob and Doug. Personally, Gord Downie is an absolute must for me (coincidentally, first time I saw the Hip in concert was 24 years ago today at Another Roadside Attraction in Markham!), and I would shun any Canadian rock recognition display without giving due respect to him.

Here’s where it gets tough: do you go for the names who have helped establish Canadian rock and roll, or do you go with names who have forged ahead and carried it on through the years? What about representing the contributions of all the fantastic female rockers hailing from north of the border? Tough choices need to be made: Bryan Adams? Leonard Cohen? Sarah McLachlan? Gordon Lightfoot? Burton Cummings? Bruce Cockburn? Tom Cochrane?

I’m going to say that my monument to Canadian rock and roll would need to have five faces on it, and I think the final two would need to be Joni Mitchell and Randy Bachman. Phew! That was hard! That being said, all this consideration decision-making helps us realize one thing: we’ve got a lot of musical talent in Canada!

3. Chris Kozak says:

Yeah, Neil Young is definitely on the short “rock” list. But my “long list” includes Gord Downey, Geddy Lee, Robbie Robertson and Bruce Cockburn (we can have 5 heads… we have enough mountains). If we go “folkie” then add Gordon Lightfoot and Joni Mitchell to the mix. Pop music, things get weird. Let’s not get weird.

4. Sean says:

Gord Downie
    Niel Young
    Geddy Lee
    Sarah Mclachlan

5. Doug says:

Tough one. Too many influential Canadian musicians. Here’s my first try, off the top of my head.
    Gord Downie
    Neil Young
    Leonard Cohen
    Joni Mitchell

As an aside, I’ve been on vacation on the west coast for 2 weeks (just missed you in Victoria) and have been binging the podcast. Great stuff. I’ve probably listened to 50 episodes now.

6. Raymond says:

Mitsou, Gino Vannelli, Kayvon, and the drummer from The Queen Haters

• Jacob says:

Ahaha excited to see this made it up here. Went from a debate amongst friends to me emailing Alan Cross to get some extra help. Now, here we are. Excited to see what everyone else thinks should be on the Canadian Music Version of Mount Rushmore.

Neil Young seems like a lock

Gord Downie seems like an obvious and deserving choice

The next two becomes a little bit more tricky

I’d go with Geddy Lee and Bryan Adam’s

7. wayne says:

robbie Robertson
    gord downie
    neil young
    burton Cummings
    4 are not enough that have touched our lives we would need a 12 to 15 head monument

8. LeGiff says:

Oscar Peterson
    Glenn Gould
    Joni Mitchell
    Gordon Lightfoot

13. Anthony Maggiacomo says:

Neil Young
    Celine Dion (can’t deny her success)
    Jim Cuddy
    Gord Downie

14. Dan Labbe says:

Lee, lifeson, Peart. Gordon Lightfoot.

15. T says:

Gordon Lightfoot, Stan Rogers, and Stompin Tom would be on my short list, though I know they’re not as rock focused as many. Not sure who I’d pick as a fourth.

16. Tim says:

Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart. No 4th face needed.

17. Alex says:

Hawksley Workman and Danko Jones

Hawksley’s music is vast and diverse. You never know what you’re getting into when you first play a Hawksley album, except that it’ll be incredibly moving and beautiful.

And Danko just fuckin’ rocks. You feel like you can take on the world when you’re listening to his music.

18. Phil says:

Gord Downie
    Geddy Lee
    Randy Bachman
    Stompin Tom.

There is absolutely NO way we build this in Canada without Gord Downie. The citizens of this country know far too well his contributions to not just music, but Canada as a whole for him not to be the focal point of this iconic piece it it were ever to be built.

19. tatum2112 says:

seriously? Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart. you only need three.

20. Johnny Canuck says:

Geddy Lee
    Neil Young
    Neil Peart
    Joni Mitchell

21. Amy says:

There are more then 4 I would like to choose but I have narrowed it down.
    Gord Downie
    Neil Young
    Leonard Cohen
    Scott Anderson

22. S M says:

It is called Mount RUSHmore, after all.

Lee.
    Lifeson.
    Peart.

23. Ken Jack says:

Lightfoot, David Foster, Randy Bachman, Celine Dion, Neil Young.

24. Majordowner says:

Young
    Downie
    Morrisette
    Adams
    That’s just my take.
    Anka could be a dark horse to sneak in.

25. Stacey says:

This list was a tough one to narrow down. But hands down, Downie is a no brainer.

Gord Downie
    Buffy-Saint Marie
    Neil Young
    Joni Mitchell
    Leonard Cohen
    Stompin’ Tom Connors
    Gordon Lightfoot

26. Peter Elliott says:

I had the same idea four years ago and did demo video on the question. See the answers of the same question on my video.

27. John s says:

I didn’t know Canada had any other notable musicians besides Rush

28. Caroline B says:

Gordie!
    Neil Young
    Dallas Green
    Max Kerman

29. David Ramsay says:

I nominate the 3-headed monster of Lee – Lifeson – Peart. It seems an obvious deserving choice for their legendary musicianship, incredible longevity, unparalleled integrity, and notable ambassadorship on behalf of Canada.

30. John Tice says: