Depeche Mode had to cancel a show in Minsk, Belarus after frontman Dave Gahan was hospitalized as the result of some kind of gastrointestinal distress. Even the Belarussian Ministry of Health felt compelled to make a statement:“He is being treated, the necessary medical assistance is being provided.”
Meanwhile, local news reports seemed to have trouble with their English translation. A site called Charter97.org had this story:
How Did Depeche Mode Soloist Get Poisoned in Minsk?
Soloist David Gahan was taken to the 9th hospital.
He was accompanied by a manager and bodyguards (perhaps the soloist was transported not by an ambulance, but by a concert black Mercedes minibus, as it can be seen near the hospital). The director of the group came as well, but he left. Gahan has a strong poisoning,” – the bus driver of the group kp.by said.
Minsk doctors cannot identify what the Depeche Mode vocalist has gone down with.
According to the latest information, the whole group is going to fly away on a charter flight from Belarus on Tuesday.
I’m assuming they believe that Dave’s problems stem from food poisoning and not some polonium-laced tea.