Along with selling tickets, Ticketmaster is a data company. Because it tracks every aspect of the ticket retail experience, it can offer useful information to venues, promoters, agents. managers, and record labels about the fans that pay good money to see artists play live.
Ticketmaster just released a study (carried out by a company called ManyBlue to augment existing internal data) about how Canadians get into the summer concert season. Here are some highlights.
- 53% of all Canadians plan to attend a concert at some point this summer.
- 4 out of 5 of those concert-goers plan to hit up to 3 shows over the season.
- Millennials lead the I-gotta-see-a-show crowd, with an intent of 58% of hitting a show
- 1 in 3 Canadians will travel more than 100 km to see a show this summer
- 36% will probably sing along with their favourite songs when they get to the gig
- Essentials at the show? Something to drink (50% say that).
- Millennials are more likely to bring their smart phones (34%? That’s all?)
- The top five rated music genres among Canadians were:
- Rock (25%, the overwhelming favourite genre of men)
- Pop (18%, the overwhelming favourite genre of women)
- Country (14%)
- Classical (7%)
- Alternative (6%)