SOCAN, Canada’s performance rights collection, has announced the finalists for its 2020 songwriting prize. The winner will end up with $5,000, a Yamaha keyboard, and a $500 gift card from Long & McQuade. And for the first time, all 20 (ten English and ten French) finalist will get a cash prize ($500) for being chosen for this shortlist.
- “#uvangattauq” – written by Rita Claire Mike-Murphy, Zahrah Ibrahim, Andrew Morrison; performed by Riit; published by Girl On A Horse, Aakuluk Music Inc.
- “Breaking Down” – written by Meghan Meisters, Mary Beth Ancheta, Alex Mak; performed by iskwé; published by Hyvetown Music Inc.
- “Grip” – written by Clairmont Humphrey II; performed by Clairmont The Second.
- “Mind Games” – written by Lauren Isenberg, David Charles Fischer, Jeff Hazin, Matt Kahane; performed by renforshort.
- “Mountain” – written by Scott Zhang; performed by Monsune.
- “Same Room” – written by JP Saxe, Ryan Marrone; performed by JP Saxe; published by SONY ATV Music Publishing Canada.
- “Some Kinda Love” – written by Kira Huszar, Adam Pondang, Akeel Henry; performed by LOONY; published by Keys Open Doors, Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd. Canada.
- “The Spark” – written by William Prince; performed by William Prince.
- “Thinking ‘Bout Love” – written by Khalid Yassein, Robyn Dell’Unto; performed by Wild Rivers; published by Robyn Dell’Unto Music.
- “Thirteen” – written by Haviah Mighty, Preston Chin, Tim Hill; performed by Haviah Mighty.
- “Attends-moi pas” – written by Vincent Roberge, Félix Petit; performed by Les Louanges; published by Bonsound.
- “Aujourd’hui” – written by Alexandre Beauregard, Daphné Brissette, Guillaume Chiasson, Mélissa Fortin, Étienne Côté ; performed by Bon Enfant; published by Ambiances Ambigües, David Murphy et Cie.
- “Cadran solaire” – written by Justin Boisclair, Thibault de Castelbajac, Benjamin Duplantie-Grenier, Thomas Thivierge-Gauthier, Maxime de Castelbajac, Clément Langlois-Légaré; performed by LaF; published by Disques 7ième Ciel.
- “Chaleur 10” – written by Mat Vezio; performed by Mat Vezio.
- “Coton ouaté” – written by Christian-Adam Gilbert, Mathieu Lafontaine; performed by Bleu Jeans Bleu; published by Chalet Musique SENC.
- “Instant Zéro” – written by Laurence-Anne C. Gagné; performed by Laurence-Anne; published by Ambiances Ambigües and David Murphy et Cie
- “La fin du monde à tous les jours” – written by Lou-Adriane Cassidy, Stéphanie Boulay; performed by Lou-Adriane Cassidy; published by Dare to Care.
- “Maintenant ou jamais” – written by Félix Dyotte; performed by Evelyne Brochu; published by Dare To Care.
- “Topographe” – written by Julien Bakvis, Jonathan Robert, Julian Perreault, Dominic Berthiaume; performed by Corridor.
- “ZayZay” – written by Léo Fougères, Tom St-Laurent; performed by FouKi; published by Disques 7ième Ciel.
In both instances, fans are encourage to listen to and then vote for their favourites. You can do that here or use the Twitter hashtag #mySSPvote with the performer’s name in the Tweet. The winning songs will be announced after August 2, 2020.