The music industry continues to plug along in the age of COVID-19. Here’s how things look in Canada compared to 2019.
- Total album sales, -37.7%
- CDs, -49.6%
- Digital albums, -20.0%
- Digital tracks, -26.5%
- Vinyl, -26.0%
- On-demand video streams, +20.6%
Again, comparing things year-over-year is going show some big drops. It’s more instructive to track things week-by-week during the pandemic.
- Total album sales from the previous week, +16.4% (Thank you, Taylor Swift!)
- CDs, -5.9%
- Digital albums, 34.6% (Again, thanks to Tay-Tay)
- Digital tracks, 0.9%
- Vinyl, 0.9%
- On-demand video streams, 1.0% (1.776 billion streams in the country last week)
All figures from MRC Data (the new name for Nielsen Music Canada)