On part one, we looked at the women who fought to prove that they and their gender could rock as hard and as well as men. On the second half of the program, we’ll take at look at everything from the all-female components of grunge to the riot grrrl bands and beyond.
This week’s playlist:
- Shonen Knife, “I Wanna Eat Chocobars”
- The 126.96.36.199.’s, “Woo Hoo”
- Fuzzbox, “Love is the Slug”
- L7, “Pretend We’re Dead”
- Babes in Toyland, Bruise Violet”
- Bratmobile, “Cherry Bomb”
- Bikini Kill, “Rebel Girl”
- Sleater-Kinney, “I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone”
- Jale, “Not Happy”
- Cub, “Motel 6”
- The Donnas, “Take It Off”
- Kittie, “Brackish”
- Pussy Riot, “Keep Rockin’ in the Free World”
The Ongoing History of New Music can be heard on the following stations:
- 102.1 The Edge/Toronto – Sunday night at 7
- Live 88-5/Ottawa
- 107.5 Dave-FM/Kitchener
- FM96/London – Sunday night at 7, Monday night at 11
- The Drive/Kingston
- 98.1 The Bridge/Lethbridge – Saturday night at 6, Sunday morning at 10am
- Rock 97.7/Grand Prairie – Sunday nights at 6.
- Sonic 102.9/Edmonton
- The Zone/Victoria
- The Fox/Vancouver
- Live 105/Halifax
We’re still looking for more affiliates in Kamloops, Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon, Brandon, Windsor, Montreal, Charlottetown, Moncton, Fredericton, and St John’s and anywhere else with a transmitter. If you’re in any of those markets and you want the show, lemme know and I’ll see what I can do.
If you’re in the US and you want to stream the show, I wish I could help. A performing rights organization called SESAC has made threatening noises about suing non-American radio stations who dare stream into the US without paying crazy fees. Most Canadian broadcasters had no choice but to geo-block their streams. But hey, if you know of an American station that would like to take the show, contact me and we’ll make it a priority.
Oh, and good news: The show will start running on OneFM in Singapore in May. From there. we’re hoping to go deeper into Asia and the make a run at Australia and New Zealand.
Anyone else? Love to hear from you. Just email me at [email protected].