A woman who spent time and money getting to a Story So Far show was literally booted from the stage by singer Parker Cannon during a show at the Mod Club in Toronto Sunday night. Actually, it was more like a WWE move. All she wanted was a selfie and he wouldn’t give it to her. Just one selfie. Just a selfie.
Roll the video.
But wait! There’s more.
Fearless Fred at 102.1 the Edge/Toronto has been doing some serious forensic work and sheds some new light on what may have actually happened. Here’s the incident from another angle:
— Anna Cuddahee (@a_cudd) April 12, 2016
It’s still a push, but nowhere near what looks like the two-footed dropkick that he appears to execute in the viral video. And then there’s this post, apparently from the woman herself.
Some thoughts I think worth discussing:
- Let’s be clear: Unprovoked violence upon another human being is never acceptable. Man-on-woman violence is always, always repugnant.
- Was there a rush to judgement based on the original video? Was the Internet outrage justified given that some new evidence (see the second video above) has become available? (Mea culpa: I immediately formed an opinion about Parker Cannon’s move on seeing the first video. “Evil asshole,” I thought.)
- Does the fact the woman involved was aware and accepting of physical contact issues found at punk shows mitigate anything? Or is this a case of “No excuses! He shouldn’t have done that EVER!”
- Will her acceptance of the situation make her the target of Internet rage?
- Where will the discussion of events go from here? I’m genuinely interested in what the Internet will do next.
- Will the band ever be able to recover their reputation?