Toronto’s PUP has won the 12th annual English SOCAN Songwriting Prize for this track from their 2016, The Dream is Over.
“DVP” was chosen by a panel of music industry wonks (me included) from a list of ten finalists.
For the record, these were the other finalists.
- “Acid Test” – written by Tommy Paxton-Beesley, Thadeus Gardwood, Johnathan Mavrogiannis, Dan Voicu; performed by River Tiber; published by Raise Your Hands Music [Arts & Crafts Music].
- “Big Boy” – written by Charlotte Cardin; performed by Charlotte Cardin.
- “Figures” – written by Jessie Reyez, Bjoran Johan, Tobias Frelin, Blake Carter; performed by Jessie Reyez; published by BMG Rights Management.
- “Glowed Up” – written by Kevin Celestin, Brandon Anderson; performed byKaytranada featuring Anderson .Paak; published by Watch and Learn/BMI, PULSE, Casablanca Publishing.
- “Push + Pull” – written by Thomas D’Arcy, Ian Docherty, Peter Dreimanis, Leah Goldstein, Danny Miles, Josh Warburton; performed by July Talk; published by July Talk Music Inc., GalleryAC Music.
- “Shithole” – written by Jasmyn Burke, Morgan Waters; performed by Weaves.
- “We Don’t Know ” – written by Jeremy Drury, Jonathan Hembrey, Darryl James, Brian Pickett, David Ritter, Isabel Ritchie, Joanne Setterington; performed by The Strumbellas; published by Domino Music Publishing.
- “Won’t Live Here “ – written by Ashton Simmonds, Jordan Evans, Matthew Burnett, Tommy Paxton-Beesley, Ian Culley, Alexander Ernewein; performed by Daniel Caesar; published by Kobalt Music Publishing & Raise Your Hands Music [Arts & Crafts Music].
- “Work” – written by Charlotte Day Wilson; performed by Charlotte Day Wilson; published by Raise Your Hands Music [Arts & Crafts Music].