Why are gas prices so stupidly high? This video helps explain it. Once you’re done with that, let’s move to music news for May 6, 2022.
- Testimony has begun in the sexual assault trial of Jacob Hoggard of Hedley. The testimony has been damning.
- Major labels own up to 87% of the tracks on major Spotify playlists.
- Still with Spotify, it’s testing the idea of “pre-saves” with the new Florence + The Machine album.
- Psy is back with a new video set in the American old west. Wait–what? (Via Rick)
- This radio DJ died while on the air.
- It really looks like TikTok is morphing into a record label.
- Rapper Kidd Creole (not to be confused with the guy fronting Kid Creole and the Coconuts) has been sentenced to 16 years for manslaughter.
- Here’s a corner of rock’n’roll history that I never considered.
- BTS is so big that they may be declared exempt from national service in South Korea. That’ll go over well.
- Hearing loss? There’s been an important new discovery.
- Rammstein is being hit by Russian trolls with pro-war disinformation.
- There’s a new photographic display of Toronto hip-hop history.
- How’s this for a new song?: “Don’t Fuck With Ukraine.” (Via Sean)
- This new report talks about the situation with women in the music industry. SPOILER: There’s still a lot of work to be done.
- Sonos systems are about to get their own voice assistant.
- The guy who designed the iPod for Apple isn’t a fan of the metaverse. That’s part of this good interview.
BONUS: American politics has devolved into this.