Labour Day. *Sigh* Do I have to say anything more? Other than running through music news for September 4, 2023, that is…
- Steve Harwell, singer for Smash Mouth, is terribly ill with liver failure. He’s entire hospice care and may only have days to live.
- AI, music rights, and known unknowns. Here’s what that means.
- Attendees at the Burning Man Festival in the desert have been trapped by….rain and mud. Meanwhile, someone has died.
- Travis Barker had to rush home from a Blink-182 tour because of a family emergency. He was seen leaving a hospital with a very pregnant Kourtney Kardashian.
- Metallica has joined the Spotify Billion Streams Club with “Nothing Else Matters.”
- Meanwhile, James Hetfield learned that COVID is still with us.
- This move by Spotify is going to piss off local radio.
- Wait: There was a lyric theft case over “WAP” by Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion? (There’s an odd Donald Trump connection here, too.)
- Voice-cloning: It’s going to be a big, big deal.
- If you’re a fan of one-hit-wonders, you’ll want to have a look at this.
- How did Taylor Swift change music forever? The answers are here and here. (Via Rick J)
- Goth vodka? What else would you call it?
- Let’s check in with Threads again. How’s it doing since it launched a web version? Oh.
- Meanwhile, podcasting continues to grow in popularity. Here’s the latest analysis of the US market. (A 68% increase in listenership over the last five years? Wow.)
- Can’t sleep? Take two Alanis Morissettes and I’ll see you in the morning.
- Meanwhile, in the world of John Mellencamp…
- What’s the hottest market of interest in the recorded music industry right now? MENA (Middle East and North Africa).
- If you’re the kind of person who likes to listen to full albums, check out this app called Longplay.
- Proper move, Doja Cat.
- You know all those people throwing sh*t at performers onstage? The guess is bad behavior is here to stay. (Via Andrew)
- Which was a better year for music: 1983 or 1983. FIGHT!
More music news? Look here.
BONUS: Steel Panther is now on America’s Got Talent? Yeah, but they were eliminated.