Published on October 10th, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
Random music news for Wednesday, October 10, 2018
I saw a spa offering a pumpkin spice massage. Have we taken this a little too far? Distract yourself with some music news for October 10, 2018.
- Weekly Canadian music sales and streaming stats vs. this time last year: Total album sales, -20.2%; digital albums, -19.7%; physical albums, -20.6%; digital tracks, -22.8%; vinyl, +31.8%; streams, +49.4% (1.433 billion streams in Canada last week).
- Donald Trump called Kanye West “smart.”
- Update on Ozzy’s infection, hospitalization, and surgery: it involves his hand and started with a couple of hangnails.
- If you’re a user of Google’s social network, Google Plus, look out. After a data breach, the network is being shut down.
- Meanwhile, Google has a ton of new hardware coming: phones, tablets, smart speakers, and headphones.
- The US Justice Department is going after emo rap because it says the genre glorifies opioid abuse.
- Kanye is going to make another trip to the White House to see Donald Trump.
- Why do dead rock stars get more popular as time goes by? Read this.
- Here are some interesting life hacks that music fans might find useful. I’m saving this.
- Justin Bieber is the first artist to have four songs cross the one billion streams mark on Spotify.
- Back in 1965, BBC talent spotters called David Bowie “dull.” (To be fair, he was kinda boring back then.)
- Did you spot the pop star cameos?
- Is your Amazon Echo/Google Home smart speaker talking to you unprompted? You’re not alone.
- Lady Gaga seems to be doing well. She toured a townhouse worth $30 million.
- No, this new Madonna product isn’t a sex toy. It’s a face massager.
- Alt-J has commissioned a new sound system for their live gigs that’s “totally immersive.”