Published on January 18th, 2017 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Wednesday, January 18, 2017
I still think MH370 was brought down as the result of a lithium battery fire in the hold, but now that the search has been called off, we may never know. But we may get lithium-ion batteries with built-in fire retardant as a result. And now, some music news…
- Sam Moore (of Sam and Dave and “Soul Man” fame) has agreed to perform at the Trump inauguration.
- Overall Canadian music sales are running at -6% from this time last year. Album sales are down almost 26%, led lower by a 33% drop in digital albums. Vinyl is up 20.5% and audio streaming is ahead by 120%.
- George Michael’s cousin maintains that he died of an accidental drug overdose.
- Lady Gaga’s Super Bowl halftime show looks…dangerous.
- And has she been asked to avoid anything political?
- Bob Dylan’s grandson is a model for Dolce and Gabbana.
- Drake is now being studied at the PhD level. See?
- Toronto’s life music scene is not what it used to be–and it’s a serious cause for concern.
- Cool! This was the first machine to replicate human speech.
- Recommended reading #1: A new book from Johnny Lydon.
- Recommended reading #2: A new tell-all by the mother of one of the members of Guns’N Roses.
- Gee, you think there’s a drug connection to that horrible shooting at the EDM club in Playa Del Carmen?
- This song has become an ear worm–and here’s why.
- The next TV music drama will be set in Miami, apparently.
- This guy was the original slap bassist. Just watching this made my hands hurt. (Via Danny)
- And check out this one-man-band busker. Wow. (Danny again.)
- Jesse Hughes of Eagles of Death Metal has had a restraining order filed against him due to some alleged death threats against a former friend.