According to organizers of Record Store Day, the biggest sellers this year were titles from David Bowie and the Grateful Dead. And while stores were crowded (I was at Kops on Queen West in Toronto on Saturday and it was a ZOO!) there was little to no growth in sales over 2016.
- Buzz Angle Music sales that album sales for the day were down by 3.7%.
- Vinyl album sales were ahead by 2.3%
- Vinyl singles fell by 5.8%. This could be a factor of the nature of this year’s offerings. Maybe they just weren’t enticing enough.
- The biggest seller was a Grateful Dead archive album followed by David Bowie’s Cracked Actor collection.
- The best-selling single was the Beatles’ “Strawberry Fields Forever”/”Penny Lane” reissue.
Here are the top 20 best-selling albums:
- P.N.E. Garden Auditorium, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 7/29/66 – Grateful Dead
- Cracked Actor – David Bowie
- Live From Welcome to 1979 – Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit
Badfish – Sublime
- Lime and Limpid – The Claypool Lennon Delirium
- Decade – Neil Young
- Bowpromo – David Bowie
- Good Apollo I’m Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear
- Through the Eyes of Madness – Coheed & Cambria
- Live at Carnegie Hall – Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
- Death Song – Black Angels
- Stinson Beach Sessions – The Head and the Heart
- Electric Lady Sessions – Drive-By Truckers
- Live at The Woodstock Music & Art Fair, August 16, 1969 – Santana
- Live at Red Rocks 8.15.9 – Dave Matthews Band
- Blade Runner – Vangelis
- 11/17/70 – Elton John
- Nilsson Schmilsson – Harry Nilsson
- Really Rock ‘Em Right: Sun Records Curated By Record Store Day Volume 4 – Various Artists
- Hammersmith Odeon, London ’75 – Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band
- Live at Austin City Limits – Townes Van Zandt
As for the top 10 selling single…
- Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane – Beatles
- Star Wars: A New Hope – John Williams
- Red Hill Mining Town – U2
- State of Love and Trust / Breath – Pearl Jam
- Interstellar Overdrive – Pink Floyd
- Little Red Corvette / 1999 – Prince
- Boy With the Thorn in His Side – The Smiths
- What the Hell Have I / Get Born Again – Alice in Chains
- Cygnus X-1 – Rush
- Def Leppard EP – Def Leppard
BuzzAngle has more data on Record Store Day 2017 here.