A new study out of the UK commissioned by a company called TickPick set out to uncover two things: (1) At what age we discover our favourite band and (2) what influences your choice. Let’s take them one at a time.
When it comes to discovering your all-time favourite band, ten factors/sources are involved:
- Radio (yay!)
- Social media
Taken all together, the study concluded that we find our all-time favourite band when we’re 13.
The study also unveiled a few other things:
- Parents who took their kids to concerts were more likely to say they had a “very strong bond” with them.
- 31% of parents disagree between them over what is the best music to play for the kids
- The genre that most parents push on their kids is indie rock (75%) followed by hard rock (69%), jazz (67%), and classic rock, metal, and country (64% each).
- Dads are more likely to expose the kids to indie rock. Moms think that playing them hard rock is best.
- Left to their own devices, the kids will choose hip-hop.
More details and some cool charts can be found here.