In another sure sign of spring, the dates have been announced for the Polaris Music Prize for this year. Members of the jury–200+ music wonks from across the country (including me) have been nominating and discussing Canadian releases for months already. Albums eligible consideration must be released between May 1, 2021, and May 31, 2022
Voting for the Long List of 40 semi-finalists will happen in the spring with the results being announced on June 14. More voting will happen and the Short List of 10 finalists will be revealed July 14. And finally, the Polaris Gala will happen on September 19 live at the Carlu. Yes, live. That’s heartening.
Here are some Polaris facts:
- 1 Polaris Music Prize winner of the $50,000 prize
- 9 runner-up winners of $3,000 courtesy of Slaight Music
- 2 Heritage Prize winners
- 196 Polaris Posters commissioned by visual artists across the country
- 200+ annual jury participants
- 1,000 annual Gala guests
- $831,000 in prize money given to musicians
- 160 Short List nominees have been provided with in-kind media attention
- 20 Not-for-Profit and charity partners supported through the Community Development Program
More at PolarisMusicPrize.ca.