I have mixed feelings about the need for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame–seems pretty establishment for music that’s supposed to be about rebellion and kicking against the pricks–but, whatever. It’s still interesting to see what the old boys club that runs the voting thinks is important.
Remember that to be eligible, it has to have been at least 25 years since your debut release. These are the acts up for consideration for the class of 2o17, complete with my bits of snark.
- Bad Brains (FANTASTIC!)
- Chaka Khan (I know she has her fans, but…meh.)
- Chic (100%)
- Depeche Mode (Can’t argue.)
- Electric Light Orchestra (Jeff Lynne has some friends in high places within the industry.)
- J. Geils Band (Another big meh from me.)
- Jane’s Addiction (Gotta make this happen.)
- Janet Jackson (Hard to dispute her stature.)
- Joan Baez (You mean she’s not already in the Hall?)
- Joe Tex (Really?)
- Journey (Well, “Don’t Stop Believin'” is the most-purchased download of all time…)
- Kraftwerk (How have they been missed up until now?)
- MC5 (Some important proto-punk contributions…)
- Pearl Jam (Probably will get in on their year of eligibility.)
- Steppenwolf (Another oversight that needs correcting.)
- The Cars (One of the most commercially successful of the American New Wave bands.)
- The Zombies (Influential Brits.)
- Tupac Shakur (Slam dunk.)
- Yes (Despite my feelings toward their brand of prog, I can see them making it.)
Voting works like this:
Ballots will be sent out to about 800 people (artists, writers, historians and various members of The Hall). Voting will narrow things down to five inductees based on things like “musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique.”
Fans can vote on who they think should be considered (NEW YORK DOLLS, DAMMIT!) and will have the top five vote-getters considered with the closed votes.
Several publications have weighed in with their picks. Billboard gives their odds:
- Pearl Jam (even odds)
- Tupac Shakur (even odds)
- Electric Light Orchestra (2 to 1)
- Janet Jackson (2 to 1)
- Yes (3 to 1)
All the results will be made public in December. The induction event will happen in April.