The 2023 Ignoble Prize Winners are here! It’s the best in weird academic research. And here’s what I researched for music news for September 18, 2023.
- The three essential rules of being a good concert-goer: “Shut up. Put your phone away. Don’t be a dick.” Discuss.
- Juicing the charts: This really, really sucks.
- Russell Brand, as you may know, had a very, very bad weekend.
- And so did Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner. He made some pretty dumb and offensive comments that had him booted from The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- Taylor Swift’s concert film could bring in US$100 million in its opening week.
- Ozzy needs more surgery for an injury that dates back to his 2003 ATV accident.
- Is Britney dating an ex-con ex-employee during her divorce from Sam Asghari? Maybe.
- This is a really interesting perspective on vinyl and hip-hop.
- Slipknot songs as feminist anthems. Wait–what?
- U2 fans believe a new song is imminent. Makes sense given that the band will open their residency at the MSG Sphere in Las Vegas at the end of the month.
- A country music station from…Tom Hanks? Yep.
- This company is in the business of deepfake music and unofficial chatbots. What could possibly go wrong?
- Any cool retro gadgets hanging out somewhere in the house? They could be worth a lot.
- How to Spotify and other streaming royalty payouts work? Read this.
- A high school band director was apparently given the taser treatment when he refused to end a performance.
- It’s been a long time since I bought a new radio. I’m considering this one.
BONUS: The stuff of Skynet nightmares: battery-free shape-changing flying robots.
BONUS BONUS: If you bought the Brady Bunch house, you got what you got.