Part of my job involves being on top of the release of new singles and albums each week. For purposes to curation, reviews, and recommendation, I need to know the release date of upcoming music.
However, finding out what singles and albums are scheduled for what dates is harder than it should be.
Yes, there are some decent resources.
- FYIMusicNews.ca publishes a schedule of upcoming releases every Friday under its Industry section. It’s very helpful, especially when it comes to Canadian releases, but it focuses only on albums. Singles are not included. A bigger issue is that new lists are published on Friday, which is too late for me to use it as a resource.
- Once you figure out how its menus work, Metacritic offers an upcoming album release calendar which seems to be updated on a rolling basis. Helpful but incomplete.
- Pause&Play is often a lifesaver because not only does the site list album release dates but it indicates the current single from each release, new downloads, reissues, and vinyl releases.
- Noise11.com breaks new releases down by label, both for singles and albums.
- If you go to the iTunes Music Store and scroll down to “Pre-Order New Music” a list of upcoming records pop up. Then you need to hit the drop-down menu in the upper left-hand corner which lets you toggle from “Bestsellers” to “Release Date.” Once the page reloads, the trick is to work from the bottom up for the records that are coming online first. Why iTunes lays things out this way is a mystery.
- DMDS is the music industry’s proprietary digital music distribution system. I can sometimes get access to upcoming release information through that.
And that’s about it–although if you know of any other sites that do this, please let me know.
Which brings me to my overall complaint: Can’t someone please consolidate all this information into one place? Or has someone already done this and I just don’t know about it?