Can we please have a consolidated and comprehensive”upcoming releases” website?
Part of my job involves being on top of the release of new singles and albums each week. For purposes to curation, reviews, and recommendation, I need to know the release date of upcoming music.
However, finding out what singles and albums are scheduled for what dates is harder than it should be.
Yes, there are some decent resources.
- FYIMusicNews.ca publishes a schedule of upcoming releases every Friday under its Industry section. It’s very helpful, especially when it comes to Canadian releases, but it focuses only on albums. Singles are not included. A bigger issue is that new lists are published on Friday, which is too late for me to use it as a resource.
- Once you figure out how its menus work, Metacritic offers an upcoming album release calendar which seems to be updated on a rolling basis. Helpful but incomplete.
- Pause&Play is often a lifesaver because not only does the site list album release dates but it indicates the current single from each release, new downloads, reissues, and vinyl releases.
- Noise11.com breaks new releases down by label, both for singles and albums.
- If you go to the iTunes Music Store and scroll down to “Pre-Order New Music” a list of upcoming records pop up. Then you need to hit the drop-down menu in the upper left-hand corner which lets you toggle from “Bestsellers” to “Release Date.” Once the page reloads, the trick is to work from the bottom up for the records that are coming online first. Why iTunes lays things out this way is a mystery.
- DMDS is the music industry’s proprietary digital music distribution system. I can sometimes get access to upcoming release information through that.
And that’s about it–although if you know of any other sites that do this, please let me know.
Which brings me to my overall complaint: Can’t someone please consolidate all this information into one place? Or has someone already done this and I just don’t know about it?
5 thoughts on “Can we please have a consolidated and comprehensive”upcoming releases” website?”
The All Music Guide https://allmusic.com/newreleases has both a complete list and a critic’s picks one (that’s the linked one). Sure it’s US based, but it’s the best one. The other good option used to be record stores. Places like Soundscapes compiled what they got from their distros into a list. Not sure if they still do. You are probably not going to find a centralized thing though.
It’s good, but according to the drop-down menu, it’s a week behind. I’m looking for a site that lists future releases.
It’s strange that this hasn’t been an option for so long (ever?). Maybe Alan Cross should use his resources and influence to pull together a weekly newsletter of release dates, videos, tours, etc with a calendar. Even build an app that links with something like Spotify.
And don’t forget to let users sort by genre 🙂
Guy who has website aggregating music facts complains there isn’t a website that has aggregated all the facts for him.
I’m surprised you don’t get reams of release info sent to you automatically by labels.
AlbumOfTheYear lists 79 upcoming releases for March 22 (with picture and user/critic ratings) as compared to the metacritic text list of 17 releases for the 22nd.
If you want to hear a great preview of music you can’t get for another 3-6 months, just listen to All Songs Considered.
Loudwire has a pretty decent list.