Plastic (or at least the first version of it) is 110 years old today. As for music news for February 5, 2019, here’s what I’ve got.
- Here’s a look at Canadian music sales and streams from last week: Total album sales, -20.1%; digital albums, -22.7%; physical albums, -18%; CDs. -22.5%; vinyl LPs, 17.2%; on-demand audio streams, +35.7% (1.318 billion streams last week).
- Did the grandfather of Arcade Fire’s Win and Wil Butler really invent the electric guitar?
- Did you make an over/under bet on the length of the national anthem at the Super Bowl? There’s a problem.
- Siri shakeup!
- Here’s the latest installment of a series that remembers often forgotten Canadian hard rock bands. This time
- There is now a burlesque show based entirely on the music of Weird Al. Wait–what? (Via Tom)
- These five rules will make life MUCH better for you on Twitter. Adopt them!
- Ever heard of “dislike mobs” on YouTube? They exist.
- Marshello, the dance artist, played two concerts within Fortnite. It’s estimated that 10 million people saw the first one. This whole thing raised an interesting question: What is a concert, anyway?
- Having trouble learning to play the guitar? Look at this app.
- Augmented reality audio sunglasses from Bose? They’re coming.
- Anyone up for some hemp-infused coffee from Willie Nelson? It’s coming, too.
- Here’s how Frances Bean Cobain is spending her $100 million inheiritance.
- Hate autoplay videos on websites? Maybe Firefox is the answer.