Published on November 20th, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
Random music news for Tuesday, November 20, 2018
Now in transit home from Thailand. By the time I get home, I’ll have been traveling for 32 hours. Ouch. At least it gives me some time to deal with music news for November 20, 2018.
- Weekly music sales and streams stats for Canada vs. this time a year ago: total albums, -22.6%; digital albums, -20.0%; physical albums, -23.8%; CDs, -27.4%; vinyl albums, +26%; streaming, +47.9% (1.543 billion streams last week)
- The winner of the who-will-sign-Taylor-Swift sweepstakes is…
- And thanks to Tay-Tay, a lot of artists on that label are going to get some nice royalty cheques.
- Warner music just spent $180 million on a merch company. That tells you a lot of where the business is at these days.
- This DJ who spent decades broadcasting from a garden shed just to his wife has been offered a gig by the BBC.
- The family of legendary DJ Casey Kasem is still throwing around blame over who was responsible for his death.
- Podcast recommendation number one: My Humber College interns talk about their plan for “millennial radio.” Once you’re done listening, read this on how millennials are changing music.
- Podcast recommendation number two: I was a guest on the No Sleep Til Sudbury podcast.
- Aerosmith’s Joe Perry is now out of the hospital after that scary backstage collapse at Madison Square Garden.
- It appears that Apple’s new iPhones aren’t selling as well as expected.
- If you work in radio–or even if you just listen–check out these nightmare radio bloopers.
- YouTube is now offering some big Hollywood movies for free–and it’s completely legal, too.
- If you were ever a fan of Shrek, you’ve got to see this.
- Still more fallout from the wildfires around Malibu: Lady Gaga still hasn’t gone home.
- Spare a thought for poor punk rocker Powerclown, who’s in a Japanese jail for smuggling drugs.
- Bohemian Rhapsody is now the second-highest-grossing biopic ever.
- And speaking of movies, Bradley Cooper was coached in A Star is Born by Noel Gallagher.
- Still more movies: This is Spinal Tap is going to receive a special honor next year.
- And one more cinematic event: K-pop stars BTS set this record for their cinematic presentation.
- No football for the Bon Jovi family on Thanksgiving.