As we approach the halfway mark of 2022–jeebus, where is the time going?–the recorded music industry continues to ramp up for the all-important fourth quarter. How are things going? Let’s begin by comparing last week with same week in 2021.
- Total album sales, -11.0%
- CD sales, -3.8%
- Digital albums, -21.7%
- Digital tracks, -19.8%
- Vinyl LPs, -1.4%
- On-demand audio streams, +13.3%
And where are things going week-to-week in 2022? Well, last week was pretty solid.
- Total album sales, +29.8%
- CD sales, +86.6% (NOT a typo!)
- Digital albums, -4.0%
- Digital tracks, +0.9%
- Vinyl LPs, +8.5%
- On-demand audio streams, +1.0% (2.415 billion streams in the country last week. I think that’s a new all-time record.)
All numbers courtesy of Luminate.